A couple things I learned from the texture project:
-it's fun to burn things [but not your entire project]
-sequins hate you no matter how you may love them
-hot glue guns also hate you
-you can never cover enough space
-magazines are awesome sources for material
-art is a good way to make use for useless things
As for my self portrait, the biggest thing I noticed in the critique is that no one really understood where I was going with it, or rather they didn't get the symbolism and what it meant. The problem with looking for it in this piece was that I designed it to have more symbolism in the reaction. I pretty much got the exact reaction out of the audience that I wanted, unfortunately, they didn't really get that. I guess in that sense, it's a piece only I can really fully appreciate.
If I were to re-do this, I would use thinner paper, more suitable for wrapping, possibly normal maps rather than star maps, though I'm not exactly sure what I'd like to do about the container [maybe a traditional candy dish?].. I'd also like to put a really tiny sign underneath it that says "take one". I think my audience might understand it a little better, but there'd still be some disconnect, with this idea it's pretty unavoidable I think, since it's more about the audience's slightly confused reaction and cautious interaction with the piece rather than the object itself.





No comments:
Post a Comment