Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wednesday, 09/01/10: 2D & 3D progress

The 2-D project is going pretty well so far I think.  When Kathy told us to look for patterns in our thumbnails I immediately looked for them and tried to see if maybe I could break out of them a little bit.  I noticed that hand tenancies towards using smaller dots and a lot of negative space pretty quickly.  I had a lot of variety in size, but they were almost all on the smaller end of the scale.  I also tended to use more dots.  I then tried using larger dots, taking up more space and using less dots in some of my thumbnails.   I had a harder time with less dots because I would have to be more precise in placement of them.  Also, I’m not a huge fan of simplicity.  There were many times when I wanted to use many more than the allowed amount.  I suppose that’s part of the exercise though.  I’ve been told before that I use a lot of negative space in my work, this assignment is no exception.  I’m not really sure why I do it though.  Though, I noticed that many artists I like also do this.  I’m not sure if that’s a factor in it though, just an observation.  With more negative space, you tend to have smaller objects which take up the positive space, so those two things are very connected.  I suppose if I used less dots I could use bigger ones and use less and take up less space that way, but, I’ve already established that I tended to use more dots.



The 3-D project I feel has been a little less successful, not terrible though.  I had to start over for the most part, but I was able to re-use some of the pieces after modifying them.  I originally was going to do something that was  about six times the size of my object, but it scaled it down some, and made it more angular and minimalistic in style.  My original plan was just not coming together.

No comments:

Post a Comment