I hope that it's okay that most of these are fairly brief. Also, I decided to express harmony and conflict through a 1 to 10 scale, 1 being harmonious to the point of being monotonous and 10 being conflicted to the point of being complete and utter chaos, 5 would be a perfect balance of the two. I noticed that most of my chosen images were on a lower end of the scale. I think this is because repetition tends to create harmony.
Interchange by Willem de Kooning [1955]
Main element: color
Harmony/conflict scale: 4
I feel a lot of chaos and turmoil looking at this piece.
Woman V by Willem de Kooning [1952]
Main element: color
Harmony/conflict: 5
I’m somewhat mesmerized and disgusted by this piece at the same time. The subject is rather unattractive and monstrous looking but I really like the bright colors.
The Liver is in the Cock’s Comb by Arshile Gorky [1944]
Main element: color
Harmony/conflict: 7
I feel this piece is very difficult to look at, despite the repetitive elements it still feels very conflicted to me.
Golden Brown by Arshile Gorky [1943]
Main element: color
Harmony/conflict: 3
It all seems to melt together, it feels very warm, almost like lava.
Trafalgar Square by Piet Mondrian [1943]
Main element: line and color
Harmony/conflict: 3
This piece is very clean and linear, it’s almost too perfect. It feels somewhat systematic.
Composition Number 10 by Piet Mondrian [1942]
Main element: line and color
Harmony/conflict: 3
I feel the same way about this piece as I do about the last one, not to say that they are exactly the same, but they both make me feel the same way.
The Matter of Time by Richard Serra [2005]
Main element: line and shape
Harmony/conflict: 2
It looks like a maze, I feel like I’d need to interact with it, walk around it.
Snake by Richard Serra [1996]
Main element: line
Harmony/conflict: 2
Maybe it’s just because it’s a black and white photo, but it seems gloomy, the narrow passage ways look like a good place to just curl up and hide.
Untitled (One Hundred Spaces) by Rachel Whiteread [1997]
Main element: shape and space
Harmony/conflict: 3
It’s kinda mysterious and eerie, they almost look like very colorful grave markers, I feel they’re very symbolic of something. I think over repetition like this, with repetitive spacing as well kind of gives me a weird vibe.
Embankment by Rachel Whiteread [2005]
Main element: shape
Harmony/conflict: 2
This piece makes me think of a big city in the winter, this is one you may have to experience in person.
Circle Dance by Tom Friedman [2009]
Main element: shape and space
Harmony/conflict: 1
It has a really nice flow to it but, it’s rather boring.
Monster Collage by Tom Friedman [2008]
Main element: space
Harmony/conflict: 3
The large rectangle feels really heavy as if it maybe about to fall. It gives it a lot of tension.
Walk by Lauren Albert [2009] [click for full image]
Main element: shape
Harmony/conflict: 2
This image gives me a sort of weird feeling, I want to know where the girls may be going, I want to know a back story I guess.
A Million Eyes That Call Me On and On by Lauren Albert [2009] [click for full image]
Main element: shape and color
Harmony/conflict: 3
This Image is almost overwhelming, there’s a lot of detail in it. However, that's what is keeping my attention, observing all the intricate details.
Gift by Betsey Walton [2009]
Main element: color
Harmony/conflict: 3 or 4
The bright pink and green really stand out lot, and the patterns lead me through the piece very nicely. I noticed she didn’t really use the top space though, it’s not a bad thing though.
Lighting the fire by Betsey Walton [2008]
Main element: shape
Harmony/conflict: 4 or 5
I want to know more about the shape in the middle. As the title hints, it's a representative of a fire, but I'd like to know beyond that I suppose, like, why did she represent it that way I guess.
















"Embankment by Rachel Whiteread"
ReplyDeletenow that is definitely some serious modular MADNESS in a good way.